1FOSTER AN ORPHAN ELEPHANT
It’s tough to figure out a unique gift to give a loved one or a friend for a particular occasion, especially when they seem to have just about everything. And many parents get tired of spending money on the same old toys or the hottest fads that will go out of popularity as fast as it became hot. So what are some special birthday and holiday gift ideas under $50 that can stand the test of time?
FOSTER AN ORPHAN ELEPHANT
For a $50 fee, you can foster a orphan elephant “as a gift of life” through The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. “When a tiny new-born elephant is orphaned, it is often because its mother and family have been killed to serve the brutal ivory trade. For an elephant, family is all important; a calf’s very existence depends upon its mother’s milk for the first two years of life.” Remember, an elephant never forgets! Check their website for their tax deductible status.
The recipient of your gift receives:
- A fostering certificate with a profile and photograph of the adopted orphan together with a description of the Orphans’ Project.
- An interactive map indicating where the orphan was found and a description of the habitat and the plight of the elephants (or Rhinos) in that particular area.
- A monthly summary highlighting events of the previous month together with a direct link to the ‘Keepers Diary’ for their elephant. In the diary the recipient will be able to access the daily calendar entries and the monthly photos. These updates can be printed off to keep a journal highlighting the progress of their orphan.
- Along with the update they will receive a monthly watercolor by Angela Sheldrick.
- From time-to-time, they will receive news of new arrivals and rescues written by Dr. Dame Daphne Sheldrick with accompanying photographs.