While hydrogen peroxide is composed only of water and oxygen, it kills disease organisms by oxidation. It is considered one of the safest, all natural, and highly effective antiseptic and disinfectant. This simple compound has many useful benefits and can also save you a lot of money. What is Hydrogen peroxide, also known as H2O2? It is composed of water (H2O) with an extra oxygen (O) molecule. The Hydrogen peroxide “bond” breaks during a reaction, for example when you apply it to a cut on your finger. When you apply it, one of the oxygen molecules is freed, leaving H2O (water) behind. The freed oxygen molecule is what you see bubbling to the surface of the cut.
A word of caution before you read further. Do not ingest hydrogen peroxide. It contains an assortment of stabilizers which shouldn’t be ingested. Large doses of hydrogen peroxide, even at the 3% concentration level, can cause oral blistering, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting. Only use it once to treat wounds. Do not use hydrogen peroxide on sensitive skin. Make sure you don’t overuse it, because it can kill good bacteria. While there are many strengths sold, for the uses below only use 3% pharmaceutical grade concentration that can be purchased at drugstore or supermarkets. Hydrogen peroxide will bleach or discolor many dark fabrics, so test on a small area before using.